1. By means of computer simulations it has been possible to define the natural pivot point of the system with unprecedented accuracy while achieving an optimum oscillation balance. The result: improved linearity, higher channel separation and reduced distortion.
2. OM Super cartridges models have split pole PINs which reduces magnetic losses at the treble end. This technology extends the frequency range and improves phase linearity.
3. OM Super 5 cartridge body is manufactured from a Noryl (plastic & glass compound) which ensures high rigidity and freedom from resonances.
If your tonearm has a standard headshell or a cartridge mount, then step up to optimal sound reproduction with OM’s. A glance at anyone of these cartridges will reveal Ortofon's answer to perfect tonearm matching. Ingeniously tucked into the top of the mounting bracket is a tiny, removable weight-plate.
If your tonearm is an standard tonearm, just leave the weight-plate. If your tonearm is one of the low mass types, then simply remove the weight. The mass of your OM cartridge is now a mere 2.5g.
Super OM 5E features Elliptical stylus that provides balanced and distortion-free playback. Elliptical diamonds are able to follow the groove oscillations more accurately than spherical diamonds due to their contoured shape. This results in better tracking and less distortion.
Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 4 mV
Channel balance at 1 kHz - 1.5 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz - 22 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz - 15 dB
Frequency response - 20-20.000 Hz + 3 / -3
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force - 60 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 20 µm/mN
Stylus type - Elliptical
Stylus tip radius - r/R 8/18 µm
Tracking force range - 1.5-2.0 g (15-20 mN)
Tracking force, recommended - 1.75 g (17.5 mN)
Tracking angle - 20°
Internal impedance, DC resistance - 1 kOhm
Internal inductance - 580 mH
Recommended load resistance - 47 kOhm
Recommended load capacitance - 200-500 pF
Cartridge colour, body/stylus - Black/Black
Cartridge weight incl. extra weight - 5 g
Cartridge weight excl. extra weight - 2.5 g
Replacement stylus unit - Stylus 5 E, Stylus 10
The OM 5s features a Spherical diamond. Spherical diamonds are the simplest and most robust diamonds. The OM 5E and Super OM 5E feature an Elliptical diamond.
In the development of OM cartridges, a major objective was to provide the music lover with the opportunity to optimize sound reproduction without having to replace the entire cartridge. Instead of being merely intended for replacement purposes following wear or damage, the OM 5 Series allows you to step up to better sound by simply upgrading the stylus.
Depending on your preference, styli for the OM 5 Series are easily interchanged and include: styli 3E, 5E, 10, 20, 30, 40 & 78 and D 25 M.
Please read about stylus life time and care on our HiFi FAQ.
For more than 50 years, Ortofon has been designing and manufacturing Moving Magnet cartridges. Along with our well-regarded Moving Coil cartridges, Moving Magnet models have established a good reputation among music lovers and Hi-Fi enthusiasts the world over.
The new Ortofon OM 5 series encompasses three basic cartridges: OM 5S, OM 5E and Super OM 5E.
• The series is the lowest-mass range of moving magnet cartridges offered by Ortofon.
• The OM cartridges bodies have been designed to provide easy mounting and alignment on both top mount and bottom mount headshells.
• The OM 5 Series provides excellent compatibility when used in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.
A simple tool to determine the stylus tracking forceSee Product Details
For Concorde MkI, OM series cartridges and styliSee Product Details
Ortofon stylus 5E for OM 5E, OMP 5E, OMB 5E, OMT 5ESee Product Details
Ortofon Stylus 10See Product Details
Ortofon stylus 5S for OM 5SSee Product Details
Reflecting our extensive experience in industrial design and technological know-how, we have become the global leader in the manufacture and supply of phono cartridges.
Our Partners can help you discover the product that is right for you. All new Ortofon products are backed by a guarantee when purchased from an authorized Ortofon Partner.
We are taking care of the customer's needs by providing and delivering professional, prompt, helpful, high quality service and technical support.